[Landau ITP Seminars] Colloquium 07.05.2020

Serge Krashakov sakr at itp.ac.ru
Mon May 4 22:11:23 MSK 2020

Уважаемые сотрудники ИТФ,

В четверг 7 мая 2018 (не в пятницу!!!) в 11:30 состоится онлайн
коллоквиум, на котором будет заслушан доклад:

Paolo Maria Santini (Dept. of Physics, University of Roma "La Sapienza")
*Towards an analytic description of periodic anomalous waves in nature
via the focusing NLS model *(joint work with P. G. Grinevich)

The focusing NLS equation is the simplest universal model describing the
modulation instability (MI) of quasi monochromatic waves in weakly
nonlinear media, and MI is considered the main physical mechanism for
the appearence of anomalous (rogue) waves (AWs) in nature. We first show
how the finite gap method adapts to the NLS Cauchy problem for a generic
periodic initial perturbation of the unstable background solution, in
the case of a finite number N of unstable modes, allowing one to
construct the solution, to leading order, in terms of elementary
functions of the initial data. In particular, if N=1, one obtains the
analytic quantitative description of a Fermi-Pasta-Ulam recurrence of
AWs already observed in real (water wave and nonlinear optics) and
numerical experiments. Then we present the analytic description of the
O(1) effect of a small loss or gain on the dynamics of periodic AWs, in
full agreements with recent water wave and numerical experiments. If
time remains, we shall discuss analogies and differences with AWs in
other contexts: on the Ablowitz-Ladik lattice and in the massive
Thirring model relativistic field theory (with F. Coppini).

Адрес для подключения - http://bbb2.itp.ac.ru/b/a-o-ytc-2k3